An Air Force flight engineer is answerable for tracking all aircraft engine and control systems in the course of pre-flight, publish-flight inspections, and when flying. They have to additionally act as a jack of all trades whilst now not at the home station and attain some of the aerospace maintenance, loadmaster, and different capabilities that other Air Force specialists might usually do.
Military Job Code for Air Force Flight Engineer
The navy activity codes for flight engineers fall beneath 1A1X1.
A flight engineer performs aircraft visible inspections and in-flight obligations. The engineer additionally operates and video display units engine and plane structures controls, panels, indicators and gadgets, and manages flight engineer features and sports. The related Department of Defense occupational subgroup is 050.
Duties and Responsibilities
Flight engineers inside the Air Force are responsible for appearing the following responsibilities:
- Inspecting plane
- Conducting visible inspection of aircrew
- Performing non-scheduled plane upkeep
- Conducting pre-flight, via-flight, and submit-flight inspections
- Maintaining plane forms and statistics for the duration of flight, and at the same time as plane is faraway from domestic station
- Computing aircraft weight, balance, and performance information
- Computing of hover, take-off, climb, cruise, and touchdown facts
- Monitoring engine fuel intake the usage of airspeed, atmospheric facts, charts, computer, or digital calculator
- Recording plane overall performance records and aircraft system fame for preservation debrief and aircraft utilization evaluation
- Operating and monitoring engine and aircraft systems controls and signs
- Assisting pilot on performing engine begins
- Monitors run-up, flight operations, and engine shutdown
- Operating engine controls to provide desired efficiency and financial system
- Monitoring engine instruments at some point of period of operation
- Controlling, monitoring, and regulating some or all the following plane systems: hydraulic, pneudraulic, gasoline, digital, air con, pressurization, air flow, auxiliary electricity unit, lubrication verbal exchange, navigation, countermeasures, radar, and depressurization and machine failure
- Observing warning indicators and light for fireplace, overheat, depressurization, and gadget failure
- Reporting unusual situations to pilot, and recommending corrective motion
- Planing and organizes flight engineer activities
- Organizing flight engineering standardization, qualification, and other requirements of flight engineer logs, reports, and facts for accuracy, completeness, format, and compliance with modern-day directives
- Coordinating with different groups and businesses to conduct flight engineer sports
- Directing flight engineer sports
- Administering qualification flight to personnel engaged in flight engineer activities inside flight check and operations corporations
- Directing standardization of flight engineer performance together with plane performance engineering, engine conditioning, and preventive protection programs
- Ensuring conformance with prescribed aircrew tactics.
- Resolving technical issues encountered with the aid of working devices
- Rendering recommendation and technical assistance to groups engaged in functions associated with flight engineer sports
- Advising organizational commander or team of workers businesses on status of flight engineer sports and adequacy of gadget
- Maintaining qualification in aircraft.
Additionally, helicopter-certified employees can be required to perform duties as aerial gunner, rescue hoist operator, hover coupler operator, fast rope and twine ladder deployment or recuperation operator, scanner, and cargo sling operator.
Air Force flight engineers have to own the following qualifications so as to be considered for this function:
The applicants need to have knowledge of electrical, communique, navigation, mechanical, hydraulic, and pneumatic structures making use of to aircraft and related systems; flight theory; minor in-flight upkeep; personal equipment and oxygen use; aircraft emergency techniques; and using and deciphering diagrams, schematics, plane performance charts, loading charts, technical publications and flight manuals.
The Air Force looks for candidates who have finished high school with a course in mechanics and mathematics.
Completion of the subsequent schooling is mandatory for award of the AFSC indicated:
- 1A131B: Completion of a helicopter flight engineer course
- 1A131C: Completion of the fundamental flight engineer path
- 1A151: Completion of the proper flying schooling path
The following experience is obligatory for award of the AFSC indicated (Note: See Explanation of Air Force Specialty Codes):
- 1A151: Qualification in and ownership of AFSC 1A131B/C (additionally, revel in is obligatory in functions along with plane and performance weight and balance computations, aircraft records protection, and plane systems protection and inspections)
- 1A171: Qualification in and possession of AFSC 1A151 (additionally, enjoy is obligatory in performing or supervising capabilities which include flight engineer activities)
- 1A191: Qualification in and ownership of AFSC 1A171 (also, experience dealing with flight engineer functions and activities)
This job used to be closed to new recruits, unless they already possessed a legitimate Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Flight Engineer Certificate. However, the Air Force has modified this policy. The job possibility is now open to new recruits (1A131C best).
Entry, Award, Retention
For access, award, and retention of these AFSCs, the subsequent is required:
- Physical qualification for aircrew obligation according to AFI 48-123, Medical Examination and Standards, Class III medical requirements
- Qualification for aviation service according to AFI 11-402, Aviation and Parachutist Service, Aeronautical Ratings and Badges
- For award and retention of AFSC 1A131X/51X/71X/90/00, eligibility for a Secret safety clearance consistent with AFI 31-501, Personnel Security Program Management
- For 1A131C: Prior qualification on the five- or seven-ability stage within the 1A0, 1A2, 1A5, 2AXXX, or 2M0 profession field ladder, or possession of a valid Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Flight Engineer certificate, FAA non-public pilot license, or valid FAA plane and power plant license or Aircraft Maintenance Technician license.
Required Appitude Score:
- 1A1X1B: M-44 or E-33
- 1A1X1C: G-55
- Enlisted Aircrew Undergraduate Course, Lackland AFB, Texas (17 days)
- Combat Survival Training Course, Fairchild AFB, Wash. (17 days)
- Fixed-Wing Flight Engineers: Water Survival-Parachuting Course, Pensacola NAS, Fla. (four days)
- Helicopter Flight Engineers: Non-Parachuting Water Survival Course, Fairchild AFB, Wash. ( days)
Basic Flight Engineer (BFE) Course, Lackland AFB, Texas (about six months)