Presenting your self well while serving in the navy in uniform and civilian clothes calls for adhering to strict standards for uniform guidelines and grooming, in addition to right civilian apparel.
When to Wear the Air Force Uniform
You need to wear the Air Force uniform at the same time as performing ordinary navy obligations. Specific uniforms and uniform objects that the Air Force presents free of cost may be required with the aid of set up commanders for regular responsibilities, formations, and ceremonies. Authorized optionally available gadgets can be worn at your personal expense. When journeying, you need to observe the uniform regulations of that military or civilian installation.
You may additionally wear a uniform other than the flight duty uniform while journeying in an professional capability. If you pick to wear civilian garb all through official journey, it have to be easy and neat and nothing skimpy, together with beachwear. When traveling in overseas countries, you have to seek advice from the Department of Defense Foreign Clearance Guide.
When Not to Wear the Air Force Uniform
Do now not wear the uniform whilst attending a public or personal assembly or demonstration through a group that is subversive to the authorities, political in nature, in competition to the Armed Forces, or where wearing the uniform implies the Air Force sanctions the reason.
You must now not put on the uniform whilst running in a civilian potential, selling personal groups, or throughout political pastime. And do not wear navy insignia and objects with civilian clothes.
Personal Grooming Standards
Grooming standards call for women and men to offer themselves in a easy, properly-groomed and neat manner. Here are extra guidelines as they follow with the aid of gender:
- Hair (Men): Hair have to be included via the front band of headgear and tapered to comply to the natural form of the head, without or with a block cut. It cannot contact the ears and must be carefully cut or shaved at the lower back wherein it could contact the collar. Men can not wear any foreign items of their hair. Dyed hair is most effective allowed if it's miles a herbal shade for the man or woman. Men must have medical documentation of baldness or disfigurement to wear a wig or hairpiece.
- Hair (Women): Women will have bangs or other hair in the front. Women can wear hair in a neat bun, instantly ponytail, dreadlocks, or braids, in addition to quick styles. They can use pins and bands that fit their hair shade. Wigs and hairpieces must follow the equal requirements, however can't be worn in flight operations.
- Beards, Mustaches, and Sideburns (Men): Men can't wear beards until for authorized fitness reasons or unique deployment situations. Mustaches are allowed but can't increase past the higher lip line. Short, frivolously trimmed sideburns are allowed.
- Cosmetics and Nails: Conservative cosmetics and nail polish are allowed for girls handiest. Nails need to be clean and groomed for each women and men and can't intervene with operating protection gadget.
Accessory Standards When in Uniform
Safety is a primary consideration for accessory requirements.
- Jewelry: Watches and bracelets are allowed but should be of a conservative fashion and can't be worn if they may be a protection threat. Up to 3 earrings in general are allowed, counting each fingers. Necklaces can be worn if concealed under the blouse. Women can put on stud rings. Men can most effective wear rings in civilian garments.
- Eyeglasses and Sunglasses: Eyeglasses and sun shades should not have any ornamentation. Sunglasses cannot have mirrored lenses and can't be worn while in formation. Glasses are not permitted across the neck. Contact lenses are allowed in herbal-looking shapes and designs and can't be tinted to exchange the natural eye coloration.
- Handheld Electronic Devices: If a cellular phone or different device is worn at the waistband or purse, it should be of a conservative coloration or in a simple holder of a conservative colour (black, silver, darkish blue, or grey). An earpiece or headset can be worn if important for performing reputable responsibilities, or at some point of air journey, or doing physical health activities. A cell smartphone cannot be used whilst strolling in uniform, except for emergencies or to make or acquire reputable notifications.
- Bags: Attaché instances, health club bags, backpacks, and girls's purses and clutches all have specs to ensure they are conservative and carried in a way that doesn't interfere with saluting.
- Religious Apparel: Religious clothing may additionally most effective be worn visibly for the duration of religious offerings. Plain, darkish blue or black spiritual head coverings can be authorized via the set up commander to wear interior or beneath the uniform/headgear outdoors.
Tattoos, Brands, Body Piercing
The tips specify what's permissible for tattoos, manufacturers, body piercings, and different frame adjustments. None can convey objectionable content or convey discredit to the Air Force, whether in or out of uniform. A professional army image is needed. Tattoos cannot be at the neck, face, head, scalp, tongue, lips, or fingers (other than one wedding ceremony ring tattoo). Authorized tattoos may cover extra than 25% of the chest, back, legs and arms. Other than single rings, seen body piercings are not permissible, including the tongue.
Service Dress Uniform
The provider get dressed uniform includes the guys's and ladies's blue carrier get dressed coat and trousers or skirt. It is worn with a long- or brief-sleeved light blue shirt. There is also a maternity carrier get dressed jumper and shirt. Men have a tie and ladies have a tie tab, and a belt is worn.
The US lapel insignia includes call tag, ribbons, chevrons, and aeronautical badges and is required. Other badges are non-obligatory and cufflinks are optional.
The carrier uniform lacks the jacket of the provider dress uniform and includes the mild blue lengthy- or quick-sleeved blouse and trousers or slacks. The tie and tie tab are non-compulsory.
The call tag, chevrons, and aeronautical badges also are required with the provider uniform. It is non-obligatory to put on ribbons, and they may be everyday-length or miniature ribbons, but a mixture isn't allowed. A most of 4 earned badges on all blue service uniforms is allowed. Aeronautical badges are worn above occupational and miscellaneous badges.
Flight Cap, Footwear, Hose With Uniforms
These miscellaneous requirements cowl head-to-toe:
- Flight Cap: Wear the cap slightly to the proper with the vertical crease of the cap consistent with the middle of the forehead and nostril. It sits about one inch above the eyebrows. When not wearing the cap, tuck it underneath the belt between the first and second belt loops however do not fold it over the belt. The provider hat may be worn as opposed to the flight cap.
- Low Quarters (Men and Women): These are black oxford lace-up shoes with a rounded toe and no perforations or designs. They have a high-gloss end. The heel isn't any taller than one inch and the sole is no thicker than one-half inch. Wear plain black socks or hose with low quarters.
- Heels (Women): Women may put on heels with the blue provider uniform. They have to be simple black with out decoration and have a excessive-gloss end. The heels must be no taller than two and one-half inches and can't have extra thick soles.
- Combat Boots: Combat boots are authorized with the carrier get dressed uniform or with the blue carrier uniform while sporting slacks or trousers, but not while sporting a skirt.
- Hose (Women): Sheer nylon hose with out a sample and in a coloration that enhances skin tone have to be worn with the skirt.
Airman Battle Uniform (ABU)
The airman struggle uniform replaced the struggle get dressed uniform (BDU) and the wasteland camouflage uniform. It can be worn for "brief comfort stops and when eating at eating places where humans wear comparable civilian apparel." It's no longer suitable to wear to bars or eating places wherein humans put on commercial enterprise apparel. It is no longer allowed in Afghanistan by using most airmen. Multicam has been authorized for Afghanistan, however.
- ABU Coat (Shirt): The long-sleeved button-up coat is crafted from a nylon and cotton 50/50 combination in a tiger stripe print. Leave the pinnacle button unbuttoned however the rest should stay buttoned. Some commanders may also authorize rolling up the sleeves. Wear a short- or lengthy-sleeved t-shirt below it, with the same old coloration wilderness sand. There is a maternity ABU coat as properly. The coat can be eliminated within the instant paintings region but ought to be worn whilst interacting with customers or customers. Mandatory accouterments include the nametapes, up to four badges, and rank insignia.
- Hat: The ABU patrol cap, beret, or organizational cap can be worn with the ABU. Headgear is required outside always except in certain "no hat" areas.
- ABU Trousers: These are button-fly 50/50 nylon and cotton combo inside the digitized tiger stripe print. They can be tucked into boots. Whether tucked or no longer, they're evenly bloused over the pinnacle of the boot. A wilderness sand colored net belt is worn. Maternity trousers also are to be had.
- Combat Boots: Sage inexperienced boots are worn with the ABU. They have rounded feet and may have a perforated seam. Black boots can be authorized for operating in some areas that could purpose stains to the sage green boot. Laces are tied and tucked into the boot or wrapped across the boot.