Best Overall : Penn Foster
With inexpensive lessons, transfer credit opportunities, online gaining knowledge of, and a straightforward but complete 4-semester software, Penn Foster’s scientific helping partner degree sets students up for a life-time of success.
Students earn an associate degree
All coursework is on-line
Prepares college students to sit down for 5 certification assessments
Takes two years to complete
More high-priced than certificates packages
Penn Foster is a hybrid online college that offers high faculty completion and diploma packages, certificate programs, and degree programs. Its scientific assistant software is an partner of technology (AS) degree, because of this you can earn your certification and later transfer your credit to a bachelor’s diploma software in case you need to boost your career.
In addition to career development possibilities, Penn Foster is our pick out for the exceptional ordinary scientific assistant certification path as it prepares students to take a seat for five certification exams:
- The Registered Medical Assistant certification (RMA) supplied through American Medical Technologists (AMT)
- The Certified Clinical Medical Assistant certificates (CCMA) supplied with the aid of National Healthcareer Association (NHA)
- The National Certified Medical Assistant certificate (NCMA) supplied by using National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT)
- The Clinical Medical Assistant Certification (CMAC) provided by way of American Medical Certification Association (AMCA)
- The Certified Phlebotomy Technician (CPT) certification provided through the NHA
You don’t ought to take all of the tests upon graduation, but in case you need to, you can make your self greater professionally appealing to ability employers and open up more profession opportunities.
In addition to all your on line coursework (which includes scientific terminology, anatomy, body structure, biology, arithmetic, insurance submitting, clerical abilities, and more), you should whole a semester-lengthy externship in a scientific putting. Penn Foster does assist students in securing externship positions.
At $seventy nine in step with credit hour, Penn Foster offers an low cost way to earn your companion degree. The lessons is even extra cheap if you pay for each semester prematurely and in complete. One semester of lessons for the medical assistant degree application prices simply $999, appreciably less to what you’d pay at a traditional college.
Best for Job Placement : Keiser University
Keiser University is a prestigious non-public university with a strong song report of job placement for graduates, at the side of possibilities for continuing training.
Earn a prestigious diploma from a famous university
one hundred% on line coursework
Assistance with externship and process placement
Expensive (personal university training)
Takes years to finish
A Florida-based organization with an internet division, Keiser University offers a sturdy medical supporting partner diploma that prepares students to take the RMA credentialing examination given through American Medical Technologists, one of the most famous and popular scientific assisting credentials.
While no college can assure job placement after graduation, Keiser has a dedicated pupil support and career advancement center in which college students can get right of entry to profession counselors, task listings, internship possibilities, and professional development workshops freed from rate. When you earn your accomplice of technology degree from Keiser, it’ll display potential employers that you’re serious approximately the profession of clinical assisting, that you take your research significantly, and that you’re dedicated to enhancing your capabilities and growing your knowledge to efficaciously serve patients.
Keiser University’s curriculum requires each widespread training credits and degree-unique credits, which includes clinical terminology, anatomy, pharmacology, scientific law and ethics, and superior biology. Students should also take a semester-long externship which counts for 5 credit score hours. The degree is a complete of 60 credit hours and takes two years to finish.
With the prestige of a non-public university alas comes a high charge tag. Tuition at Keiser University averages about $19,000 per year, consistent with the training calculator at the Keiser internet site. The upside of attending a college is they offer financial useful resource and scholarships, and you can additionally apply for authorities monetary useful resource. With non-degree packages, monetary aid and scholarships typically aren’t an alternative.
Best Affordable Option : U.S. Career Institute
This flexible, online certificates application fees less than $1,500 however doesn’t skimp on high-quality content or guidance.
All on line studying
Prepares college students to sit down for 2 medical assistant assessments
Not a degree software or diploma tune
No process placement help
The U.S. Career Institute gives potential college students an alternative to attending traditional, pricey higher schooling establishments. The college gives a targeted selection of profession tracks, together with medical assistants and different fitness care professions.
The clinical assistant application at U.S. Career Institute is added completely on line and prepares you to sit for the CCMA examination or the Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA) exam, each via the NHA.
Students who whole this system will analyze all of the competencies and information they need to be a a hit scientific assistant, along with scientific terminology, anatomy, first useful resource, getting ready patients for assessments, minor surgical methods, preparing and administering medicinal drugs, medical health insurance, the front workplace processes, patient treatment options, and pharmacology.
If paid in complete, the clinical assistant certification program expenses $1,239. You can also choose to pay in installments, but the overall cost rises to $1,489 with on line bills or $1,539 with mail-in payments.
Once you sign up within the application, you have as much as a year to finish it, however it may take as little as 4 months. According to the U.S. Career Institute, the common time to completion is seven months.
Best Part-Time Program : Trident University
This self-paced, on-line course includes 540 path hours over 365 days (approximately 10 to 12 hours in step with week over the route of a 12 months) but covers the equal records as many complete-time university programs.
Distance gaining knowledge of
Not a degree application or diploma music
No externship or activity placement
Trident University is a locally authorised university and a member of the American InterContinental University System. Founded in 1998, Trident University became one of the first actual all-on-line colleges. Since then, it has attracted masses of lots of college students to its kind of certificate, partner, bachelor, master, and doctoral programs.
Trident’s medical scientific assistant certificate software prepares you to take a seat for the CCMA national certification examination provided via NHA. The curriculum covers clinical terminology, authorities and personal insurances, insurance claim submitting, anatomy and physiology, venipuncture, and other talents essential to clinical settings.
Tuition for this route is $2,one hundred ninety and consists of the price of three difficult reproduction textbooks so that it will be mailed to you after enrollment. There are no conditions for this path, however you need to have a high school degree or equivalent to sit down for the CCMA exam.
Keep in mind that notwithstanding this program being administered by way of a university, it isn't always a diploma application or a degree tune software. Trident University does no longer award credit for completing this certificate program or any a part of it.
Best Fast-Track Program : Phlebotomy Career Training
In as low as six months, Phlebotomy Career Training helps you to end up an authorized medical medical assistant, electrocardiogram technician, phlebotomy technician, and IV technician.
Quick but thorough curriculum
Online studying (besides externships)
Fast pace could make curriculum feel crammed
Must complete a couple of clinical rotations
Not a degree application
Although Phlebotomy Career Training started out as a phlebotomy-focused career faculty, it has on the grounds that improved to encompass several other health care careers. Its medical assistant certification software helps you to earn four separate credentials in only six months and start your clinical profession off with an aspect above different access-level professionals.
The curriculum for this hybrid software covers all the basics of clinical helping as well as the necessities for becoming an electrocardiogram (ECG) technician, IV technician, and authorized phlebotomist. The coursework is all online besides to your externship and medical hours. Students should entire 204 medical externship hours to sit down for the clinical assistant examination as well as forty hours of ECG and perform 30 stay blood attracts. Students will be responsible for learning and securing externship possibilities in their area.
Tuition for this system costs just $1,200, which includes the registration price for all four assessments. Students also are chargeable for registering for the examination within their locale and sitting for the exam at a designated, proctored location determined by way of the examination-administering enterprise. Unfortunately, best one textbook is protected within the cost of tuition, so you'll be at the hook for different path substances.
This joint certificate software is perfect for college kids who want to earn more than one certifications and discover the fitness care enterprise, however don’t have the way to wait a college or university.
Our studies factors to Penn Foster because the company of the high-quality clinical assistant route. Its program combines the high-quality of all different packages described here, together with lower priced lessons, payment plans, thorough coursework, tremendous pupil assist, guidance to sit for several widely recognized credentials, and externship help for fingers-on enjoy.
Compare the Best Medical Assistant Certifications
|$79 in keeping with credit hour ($999 in step with semester)||four semesters||CCMA||Online and in-character (externship)|
Best for Job Placement
|$19,000 consistent with 12 months||2 years||Associate of Science, RMA||Online or in-individual|
|U.S. Career Institute
Best Affordable Option
|$1,239 (paid in complete)||four–7 months||CMAA examination and CCMA||Online|
Best Part-Time Program
|$2,a hundred ninety||12 months or much less||CCMA||Online|
|Phlebotomy Career Training
Best Fast-Track Program
|$1,two hundred||6 months or less||CMA, EKG Technician, Phlebotomy Technician, IV Technician||Online and in-person (externship)|
How to Choose the Best Medical Assistant Certification
Ultimately, the excellent medical assistant certification application comes right down to your precise combination of wishes and goals. Here are some elements to take into account when choosing a medical assistant certification route:
- Credential: There are several styles of medical assistant credentials. All can be beneficial for securing a process after course finishing touch, however it’s important to take into consideration your needs and future goals. For instance, CMA presented from the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA) is the most widely recognized scientific helping credential and prepares you for standard workplace administration. The NCMA credential, on the other hand, focuses more on supporting physicians with their patients immediately.
- Program duration: Consider how tons time you've got. If you want a process speedy, a fast-track application is a superb choice. If you may wait, though, it is able to be useful to wait a university and earn your partner diploma.
- Program intensiveness: Ask your self whether or not you may deal with a complete-time, college-level program at this factor on your life or in case you need something element time to retain worrying in your own family or fulfilling other duties.
- Tuition and economic resource: Budgeting is a vital a part of persevering with your education. Research your financial resource options and determine how plenty money you can realistically spend on a clinical assisting application without piling on an excessive amount of debt.
- Learning platform: Can you take some time out to attend in-character lessons or are you able to handiest look at at home due to different responsibilities? Keep in mind that maximum clinical supporting packages, even on line ones, require some arms-on enjoy in the form of scientific classes or an externship.
Types of Medical Assistant Certifications
You can pursue one or more clinical assistant certifications depending on the requirements your scientific supporting software meets.
- Certified Medical Assistant (CMA): Awarded thru the American Association of Medical Assistants, this credential requires students to graduate from a one- or -yr clinical assisting software offered via a school with institutional or programmatic accreditation from ABHES (the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools) or that is programmatically permitted via CAAHEP (the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs).
- Registered Medical Assistant (RMA): The Association of Medical Technologists awards this credential to students who pass the examination after completing a medical assisting software credentialed by way of the U.S. Department of Education, the Council for Higher Education Accreditation, or the AMT board of directors.
- National Certified Medical Assistant (NCMA): Students who want to pursue this credential, that's provided through the National Center for Competency Testing, should be a graduate (inside the ultimate 10 years) of a medical supporting program approved through the NCCT or meet one of the other necessities.
- Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA): There are numerous ways for college kids to qualify for the CCMA examination supplied via the National Healthcareer Association.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How Much Does It Cost to Get a Medical Assistant Certification?
The fee for earning your scientific assistant certification varies relying on the software you choose. Some guides put together you to take a seat for an exam for much less than $1,500, even as other packages charge full university lessons, that can run $15,000 in keeping with yr or extra.
Don’t neglect to issue in other expenses of incomes a medical assistant certification, including:
- School fees other than tuition
- Housing and transportation
- Supplies, including scrubs and hygiene gadgets
- Books, workbooks, pens, paper, and different school supplies
- An internet connection, computer, and different technology
- Meals if you’re traveling to an in-individual campus
How Long Does It Take to Get a Medical Assistant Certification?
Some humans earn their clinical assistant certification in much less than six months, even as others may additionally take two years or extra to take a seat for and bypass the examination. It all comes all the way down to the duration of this system you pick out, and the way long you pick to attend among graduation and sitting for the examination. In widespread, in case you don’t join in an partner degree application, you can expect to turn out to be a licensed medical assistant in a 12 months or less.
Is It Worth Getting a Medical Assistant Certification?
It’s usually well worth getting licensed in any profession you wish to paintings in. Becoming a licensed scientific assistant suggests capacity employers which you care approximately the fitness care enterprise and want to make a distinction for patients.
While now not all states require scientific assistants to be certified or registered, it’s becoming more and more commonplace for medical establishments to hire only certified professionals. Plus, the process of getting licensed will instill important information and abilties, as well as the self belief you need to achieve a scientific career.
How Do You Advance Your Career as a Medical Assistant?
Some humans fortuitously continue to be scientific assistants for their whole health care career. However, for most human beings, clinical helping is a stepping stone to a extra advanced health care profession. To advance your medical profession, you’ll probably want to go back to high school or pursue additional certifications.
Some not unusual career paths after clinical assisting encompass nursing within the shape of an authorized nursing assistant or registered nurse or becoming a specialized scientific assistant inclusive of podiatric medical assistant (PMAC) or licensed ophthalmic assistant (COA). Some clinical assistants may additionally decide to keep working in their subject as they pursue a bachelor’s degree and practice for scientific college.
When researching the fine scientific assistant certification guides, we searched for numerous elements, a primary one being organization accreditation. All of the certification guides in this review are authorised by at the least one accrediting corporation diagnosed by using the U.S. Department of Education or partnered with a recognized expert association. Some accrediting groups consist of The Higher Learning Commission, the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC), and the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC).
We additionally only chose packages that offer an online gaining knowledge of layout, understanding that many students favor to research remotely or need to analyze remotely because of location restrictions or own family responsibilities. Finally, we made positive to consider the value of attending every application, knowing that potential college students have unique economic conditions. Aside from the only university application on our listing, all of those scientific assistant certification courses price much less than $2,000 in tuition.