A Chief Information Officer (CIO) is an government that oversees the records era (IT) desires of a employer. But that doesn’t suggest they’re the IT director. In reality, many CIOs are beginning to distance themselves from operational obligations. The skillset and duties are very specific from what they have been a decade or in the past, and the function continues to conform to the converting face of the modern enterprise employer.
CIO Duties & Responsibilities
The position is once in a while referred to as Chief Technology Officer (CTO), but on paper, mild differences in the two positions exist. Here are the principle functions of a CIO:
- Create enterprise cost via era.
- Strategic making plans of enterprise growth objectives.
- Ensure tech systems and techniques lead to outcomes consistent with business dreams.
- Oversee the improvement of customer support platforms.
- Manage IT and development crew employees.
- Approve vendor negotiations and IT architecture.
- Information threat control (IRM).
- Establish IT policies, techniques, and standards.
- Develop and approve technology futures and budgets.
CIOs are a critical a part of an company’s digital transformation. Cloud computing, large facts analytics, cellular computing, and collaboration systems pose new demanding situations for CIOs. And AI, the Internet of Things, and virtual disruption are having more influence on the path of consumer merchandise. With these technology inside the driver’s seat, the CIO is less concerned with jogging the IT branch. Focus has shifted to provider analysis, records safety, and market attain.
A CIO's profits can range relying on area, enjoy, and organization.
- Average Annual Salary: $159,two hundred
- Top 10% Annual Salary: $249,000
- Bottom 10% Annual Salary: $94,000
Education, Training, & Certification
The direction to turning into a CIO may be varied however generally includes both a historical past in information technology and higher management revel in.
- Education: CIOs often have an IT background, with university degrees in pc science, software program engineering, or records systems. Coursework may also include computer programming, software development, math, and business. Many employers additionally decide upon candidates have a Master of Business Administration (MBA).
- Experience: Experience is an essential factor to gain a role at this level. Employers normally pick at the least 5 years’ revel in in IT control. Moreover, commercial enterprise acumen is a have to. That’s why the contemporary tendency is for CIOs to be promoted from enterprise departments instead of IT.
CIO Skills & Competencies
To be successful in this role, you’ll usually want the following abilties and qualities:
- Strategic making plans capabilities: CIOs expand and put into effect techniques and plans to assist a enterprise attain its desires.
- Leadership abilities: CIOs are often answerable for coping with and leading a huge crew.
- Interpersonal abilties: CIOs need to be able to work efficaciously with leaders in distinct enterprise units to make certain a comprehensive IT strategy that blessings the complete corporation.
- Change management competencies: Companies have to adapt to advances in technology so one can be triumphant, and CIOs are at the vanguard of helping them do that.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) initiatives that employment on this field will develop 12% through 2026, that is faster than the general employment increase of seven% for all occupations inside the us of a.
CIOs have to be comfortable running within the rapid-converting era landscape and with the obligation and stress that comes with main a commercial enterprise to fulfillment in this surroundings.
CIOs normally work full time, and approximately one-third of them work more than forty hours consistent with week, according to the BLS.
How to Get the Job
SHARPEN YOUR BUSINESS LEADERSHIP SKILLS
Beyond getting an MBA and going thru management training, it can be helpful to get recommendation from successful enterprise leaders.
WRITE A TARGETED COVER LETTER AND RESUME
Comparing Similar Jobs
People who're interested in a profession as a CIO might also take into account other careers with these median salaries:
- Computer structures analyst: $88,740
- Software developer: $one hundred and five,590
- Web developer: $sixty nine,430
Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2018