Parks protection people hold up the advent, fitness, and protection of landscapes and features in public parks. They maintain jogging and biking paths, trekking trails, athletic fields, playgrounds, picnic tables, benches, lawns, flower beds, and gardens.
Parks upkeep employees are hired by neighborhood, country, or federal governments. Workers are usually hired through the ordinary government hiring procedure. In a municipal government, they paintings within parks and exercise departments.
Parks Maintenance Worker Duties & Responsibilities
A parks renovation worker ought to be capable of perform the following tasks:
- Seed, mow, fertilize, aerate, water, and weed lawns.
- Plant and care for trees, shrubs, and plants.
- Inspect and repair playground device, picnic tables, benches, and different park services.
- Ensure athletic fields are prepared for games and practices.
- Keep trails and paths clean and in right condition.
- Pick up clutter and cast off bagged trash.
Parks protection employees decorate the park grounds by using retaining lawns green and litter-loose and by means of planting and tending to annual plant life that alternate with the seasons as well as perennial trees, shrubs, and flowering plant life. In an attempt to preserve the park safe, they hold and make any upkeep to park furnishings as wished. They do everything they are able to to make sure the park is attractive and usable by means of network contributors.
Parks Maintenance Worker Salary
The salaries of parks renovation people vary by using geographical area and number of years on the job. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics gives salary facts for grounds preservation workers in general, including people who provide their offerings to house owners and businesses or in sports stadiums. The annual figures are calculated primarily based on a forty-hour workweek.
- Median Annual Salary: $29,390 ($14.13/hour)
- Top 10% Annual Salary: More than $46,488 ($22.35/hour)
- Bottom 10% Annual Salary: Less than $20,862 ($10.03/hour)
Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2018
Education, Training, & Certification
Most candidates need little formal training or experience to grow to be a parks preservation worker. Most job postings call for a excessive school diploma or less and one or years of relevant enjoy. Employers usually educate new hires in all the vital talents.
- Pesticide license: Many states require people who use insecticides and fertilizers to be certified in their software. To end up licensed, a worker commonly has to pass a check to demonstrate they could use the chemicals adequately.
- Certification: The Professional Grounds Management Society gives certification packages for both grounds technicians and grounds managers. Grounds technicians need to have two years of revel in to take the certification check. Grounds managers should have 8 years of experience, which include 4 in a supervisory function, or an equal combination of education and experience.
Parks Maintenance Worker Skills & Competencies
Workers who hold parks need to have sure skills and qualities to efficaciously do their jobs, consisting of the subsequent:
- Resistance to inclement weather: Parks upkeep workers perform their jobs in all styles of climate situations, which includes extremes of heat and bloodless and rain and snow.
- Communication competencies: Park renovation employees engage without difficulty with folks who go to the park.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts the wide variety of grounds upkeep workers will boom via eleven% from 2016 to 2026, that's faster than the average for all occupations.
Parks preservation workers do their work outside. The BLS notes that "the paintings may be repetitive and physically annoying, requiring frequent bending, lifting, and shoveling."
As authorities employees, parks protection people typically have set workweeks. They are busiest in hotter climate when the grounds require greater upkeep. In the iciness, they plow and shovel snow.
How to Get the Job
WORK AND LEARN AS AN APPRENTICE
The National Association of Landscape Professionals (NALP) offers an apprentice application that is registered with the U.S. Department of Labor.
The NALP posts landscaping-associated jobs, along with those for parks preservation people, on its internet site.
REHEARSE COMMONLY ASKED INTERVIEW QUESTIONS
Many of the equal questions arise during interviews with human assets employees and hiring managers. Review these questions and methods to reply them as a way to provoke your interviewer.
Comparing Similar Jobs
People who are interested by becoming parks maintenance people may additionally remember the following careers. The figures furnished are median annual salaries:
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2018