If you are not an American citizen and are interested by working in the United States, you will need a social safety quantity to be hired inside the U.S. Here's records on eligibility for a social security variety and a way to get a social security card for foreign employees.
What is a Social Security Number?
A social protection range is a nine-digit identity wide variety given to U.S. residents, permanent residents, and non-immigrant running citizens. Social Security numbers are had to paintings inside the United States, to accumulate Social Security blessings, and to be eligible for other social services.
There are three exclusive sorts of social protection playing cards:
1. The maximum common sort of social security card has the individual’s name and social security wide variety. This kind is generally given to U.S. residents and legal everlasting citizens.
2. The 2d is unique for brief employees or people with non-immigrant popularity. They are legitimate for employment “with DHS authorization” and can be used to meet I-9 eligibility requirements.
3. The remaining type is issued only for tax purposes and can't be used with the I-nine shape or for employment.
An I-nine Form is a central authority shape used to confirm an employee's eligibility to work inside the United States.
Eligibility for a Social Security Number
Temporary people and those in non-immigrant visa status who are legal to paintings inside the United States with the aid of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) can get a Social Security wide variety (SSN).
Social Security numbers are used to file wages to the authorities and to determine someone’s eligibility for Social Security benefits. A Social Security variety is needed to work and to gather Social Security advantages.
Only non-residents legal to paintings in the U.S. are eligible for a Social Security range.
Those with a non-employment primarily based brief visa without authorization to work inside the U.S. aren't approved to use for a social security quantity.
How to Get a Social Security Number (SSN)
There are two methods that you could get a social security variety and card:
1. If you're age 18 or older, you may practice for a social safety range in your own home us of a whilst you follow for an immigrant visa with the U.S. Department of State. The U.S. authorities will use the same records which you supply to use for an immigrant visa to apply for an SSN.
Your social safety card will arrive at your mailing deal with about three weeks after you arrive inside the U.S. If you practice for the Social Security number out of doors of the U.S., you do now not need to go to an American Social Security office after entry into the US.
2. If you aren't an immigrant or did no longer observe for a Social Security number whilst you carried out for an immigrant visa, you should carry your petition and approval notices displaying your felony immigration repute and authorised authorization to paintings inside the United States. Then you should practice for a Social Security wide variety and card by visiting a Social Security office within the U.S.
The Social Security Administration recommends that you wait ten days after arriving within the u . s . to "make it less difficult for us to confirm your Department of Homeland Security files online, that allows you to speed processing of your Social Security variety software." Applying for a Social Security number is loose.
Information Required to Get a Social Security Card
- Application For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5)
- Two authentic documents proving your identity, immigration status, paintings eligibility, and age.
As far as documentation, as an example, a work allow may be used as evidence of both your identification and paintings-legal immigration reputation. Some other perfect documents to show your work authorization can include your immigrant visa, an employment-based admission stamp, the I-94 Arrival/Departure Record, and any paintings lets in or Employment Authorization Documents (EAD).
Your start certificates or passport may additionally serve as proof of age. However, you need two separate files to show eligibility for a social safety range.
Additional Document Required for International Students and Foreign Exchange Visitors
International Students or Foreign Exchange site visitors (J-1, J-2, F/M-1) are able to paintings on a part-time basis and have to convey additional documentation to prove their repute. For J Visas, the DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status is required.
For worldwide students, the maximum recent I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant Student Status is needed.
Original documents are required to reap a social security card. Photocopies and notarized copies could be rejected.
The records contained in this text is not criminal recommendation and isn't an alternative choice to such advice. State and federal laws alternate often, and the records in this newsletter may not replicate your very own kingdom’s legal guidelines or the most latest adjustments to the law.