Legal secretaries, additionally known as administrative assistants, felony assistants or executive assistants, perform the day by day clerical functions required for the green operation of a criminal office. Beyond the same old submitting, typing, dictation and make contact with-answering duties of the secretary, criminal secretaries own specialised abilities unique to the prison career.
Legal secretaries from time to time start out as criminal receptionists earlier than moving into a secretarial function. Experienced secretaries are frequently promoted to senior secretarial positions or paralegal positions inside the regulation corporation or business enterprise.
Legal Secretary Duties & Responsibilities
Legal secretaries have some of administrative duties to guide legal professionals and the workplace. On any given day, they will carry out responsibilities which include the following:
- Prepare correspondence to diverse events
- Type prison documents, which includes pleadings, motions, briefs, discovery files, and subpoenas.
- Maintain complex docket systems to song the myriad of prison filing cut-off dates
- Create and populate spreadsheets
- Index and update pleadings and discovery binders
- Schedule depositions, web page inspections, hearings, closings, and meetings
- Draft correspondence and recurring prison files together with deposition notices and legal invoices
Legal secretaries also help with legal studies and speak with legal professionals, professionals, opposing recommend, vendors, and different body of workers.
Legal Secretary Salary
Legal secretary salaries vary relying upon experience, geographic vicinity, and practice setting. Salaries can variety from $28,000 for entry-degree experts hired in a small company to $sixty five,500 for senior prison secretaries employed in a big firm, in step with the Internet Legal Research Group.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor additionally affords income statistics. A criminal secretary revenue varies primarily based on the level of revel in, geographical area, and other factors:
- Median Annual Salary: More than $76,500 ($36.seventy eight/hour)
- Top 10% Annual Salary: More than $forty four,730 ($21.five/hour)
- Bottom 10% Annual Salary: More than $27,080 ($13.02/hour)
Education, Training & Certification
While a few secretaries within the industry possess no formal training, the biggest range of career possibilities exist for formally trained prison secretaries who have completed a few put up-secondary education or a four-12 months university diploma.
- Education: Legal secretarial programs are presented via network schools, technical centers, and private profession colleges and take one to two years to complete.
- Certification: Certification for criminal secretaries is a growing trend and might enhance employment possibilities. The National Association for Legal Professionals (NALS) bestows an ALS designation upon legal secretaries who pass a four-hour, 3-component examination.
Legal Secretary Skills & Competencies
In addition to formal education, schooling or certifications, prison secretaries perform better at their jobs once they own sure extra talents, consisting of the following:
- Grasp of terminology: Familiarity with felony terminology,
- Familiarity with legal method: State and federal courtroom submitting policies, simple legal process and law workplace protocol are critical for the criminal secretary.
- Strong time-management capabilities: In addition to awesome typing and dictation competencies, legal secretaries need to be extremely cut-off date-oriented since missing a submitting closing date can result in a default judgment (automatically losing a case).
- Computer abilities: As workplace and prison procedures turn out to be greater computerized, prison secretaries have to possess top notch computer abilities and be proficient with word processing, spreadsheet, prison studies, presentation, and time and billing software.
Increased demand for prison offerings and purchaser-driven efforts to lessen legal prices ought to preserve to create job possibilities for prison secretaries. According to Monster.com’s career recommendation center, felony secretarial jobs will preserve to multiply, especially inside the company area.
The massive majority of felony secretaries paintings in regulation corporations. However, corporate legal departments, the government, public interest corporations, and the judiciary additionally hire legal secretaries.
Legal secretaries usually paintings a preferred, full-time work agenda, even though they will need to install additional work hours before or at some stage in an ordeal.
How to Get the Job
BRUSH UP YOUR SKILLS
The National Association of Legal Professionals is an organization imparting expert development by means of offering continuing prison training, certifications, records, and education to individuals inside the criminal services enterprise.
Look at job-search resources like Indeed.com, Monster.com, and Glassdoor.com for to be had prison secretary positions. You also can go to the career middle of your college, the websites of person law corporations or prevent through in individual to apply to current job openings.
Comparing Similar Jobs
People interested by turning into a legal secretary also bear in mind the following career paths, indexed with their median annual salaries:
- Word processor or typist: $38,740
- Executive secretary: $59,340