Social media is a key component of e-book advertising and content material marketing for authors and hashtags are shortcuts that assist locate like-minded people on social media. A hashtag is the keyboard number—pound—symbol that looks as a double-crossed capital "H" and is a metadata tool used with social media networks.
Users will location the hash earlier than a phrase or a string of words, tagging the words electronically. Its use will allow other human beings to quick search and locate messages that still contain that tag. The social media provider will gather all the same tags into one circulation.
Hashtags Help Find Your Book's Audience
What commenced out as a Twitter "factor," hashtags are now used on all types of social media platforms—Pinterest, Instagram, Tumblr, and others. For functions of this article, we will persist with hashtags for authors and different bookish professionals.
Using specific hashtags for writers and publishing specialists can join you with like-minded authors and fanatics. This connection will assist you develop your list of followers on Twitter and on different sorts of social media.
First Hashtag First
One significantly important hashtag for creator studies purposes is: #mswl
This is short for "manuscript wishlist" and it's the hashtag utilized by editors and retailers who're trawling for particular sorts of manuscripts.
Hashtags for the Writing Community
Before you marketplace your e-book, you ought to write it. Here are a few useful writer hashtags to help you find Twitter sympathy at the same time as you toil away on the keyboard. These tags allow writers to reach out to readers, editors, other writers, and publishers as they are within the process of writing or advertising their work.
The list is #alphabetical. Also, while it mentions Twitter, those tags may be used on any social media web site.
- #amwriting: It’s no longer clearly clean how one may be writing and tweeting on the same time, however that is normally used by writers to indicate they’re generating pages.
- #amediting: Similar to #amwriting, this hashtag indicated that the writer is going through their pages, revising.
- #fridayreads: The writing and e-book publishing communities are not anything if no longer passionate readers themselves. By adding this hashtag to a Friday tweet approximately what you’re currently analyzing, you display support for other writers and for the e-book business. It’s suitable karma on your personal work.
- #ff: Stands for “Friday Follow”; every other weekly show of generosity on the part of a tweeter, where one recommends web sites to comply with.
- #nanowrimo: National Novel Writing Month—in November—facilitates create cohesion among those toiling on their magnum opuses.
- #writingprompt: This hashtag is used whilst writing coaches deliver a suggestion approximately what to write down. Prompts are an idea to get the author going and assist to stimulate the drift of the pen at the web page.
- #writingtip or #writetip: Writing coaches, editors, and others whose livelihoods depend upon authors will offer up their tweety pearls of expertise, marked by using those hashtags.
- #writingsprint: The Twitter model of “for your mark, get set, write", this hashtag encourages writer participation in a timed writing workout.
- #writerwednesday: Used on—you guessed it—hump day, this standard hashtag may be used on my own or in tandem with different hashtags to mark quite a few distinct tweets—for author promoting—for oneself or one's friends—or to focus on different writing pursuits, together with a #writingtip (see above).
General Book and Genre Hashtags
These frequently self-explanatory hashtags will help connect writers with fellow genre writers or readers. They can are available in helpful whilst looking for support at some stage in the writing procedure or get out the phrase in e book marketing efforts:
- #cookbooks (also related to the cookbook genre are #food #cooking recipes)
- #fiction (regularly combined with different genres
- #histfic and #histnovel (used for ancient fiction)
- #kidlit (kid's literature)
- #litfic (literary fiction)
- #paranormal (used for books like Amanda Hocking's)
- #scifi or #technological know-how #fiction
- #brief or #short #story or #shortstories or #shortreads
Useful Hashtags for Author and Book Promotions
Using those hashtags to be used in tweets and on other social media systems so one can help alert followers and ability followers approximately your book promotional efforts:
- #bookgiveaway: This alerts to all that you’re raffling or in any other case giving away a loose reproduction of a book. Also beneficial: #free and #freebie
- #indiethursday: Readers who aid unbiased booksellers use this hashtag when tweeting approximately their purchases on Thursdays.
- #novelines: Use this hashtag whilst you quote from a singular—your very own or others.
- #poetrymonth: Poets are used to brief-shape writing—they have to be quite proper at tweeting, no? Also, in April, they ought to use the hashtag for National Poetry Month.
- #shortreads: This hashtag normally pertains to short testimonies and gets used maximum intensively in National Short Story Month, in the course of May.
- #teasertuesday and #samplesunday: Offering up a hyperlink to a sample bankruptcy or some other snippet out of your modern-day work or paintings-in-development is a outstanding manner to get readers worried. The Twitterverse has made Tuesdays and Sundays the days whilst writers customarily try this—these hashtags facilitates readers find the excerpts.
General Promotional Hashtags
These hashtags can spotlight the elements of your e-book advertising marketing campaign to the Twitterverse, the Facebook crowd, Reddit readers, and Pinterest pinners:
- #loose or freebie
Hashtags for “Indies”
Self-published “indie” authors have an in particular rich on-world Twitter. As many indie writers post on e-book most effective. Tweeting and linking is an organic manner for them to drum up reader hobby in their books and connect to different DIY writers.
- #indieauthor or #indiepub: Authors use those to outline themselves as self-published.
The following hashtags help alert potential readers to the e-book codecs on which the paintings is to be had
- #pubit PubIt is Barnes & Noble's e-book publishing platform
eBook Publishers and Purchase Sites
These tags permit for direct fans to sites where the books may be purchased:
- #kpd (Kindle Publishing Direct)
- #corner (Barnes & Noble)
Of path, there are surely greater hashtags to be able to be beneficial, depending on the subject tweeted approximately.