When puzzled, have to I come to be a prisoner of battle, I am required to present call, rank, service range, and date of delivery. I will evade answering similarly inquiries to the utmost of my capability. I will make no oral or written statements disloyal to my united states of america and its allies or harmful to their purpose. (Article V)
When puzzled, a POW is required by means of the Geneva Conventions and the CoC and is allowed by the UCMJ, to offer call, rank, service variety, and date of delivery. Under the Geneva Conventions, the enemy has no right to try to pressure a POW to provide any extra data.
However, it's miles unrealistic to expect a POW to stay constrained for years reciting most effective call, rank, provider range, and date of beginning. There are many POW camp situations in which positive forms of communication with the enemy are authorised.
Prisoner of War Guidelines
For instance, a POW is allowed, however no longer required with the aid of the CoC, the UCMJ, or the Geneva Conventions, to fill out a Geneva Conventions "seize card," to jot down letters home and to speak with captors on topics of camp management and health and welfare.
The senior POW is required to represent fellow POWs in subjects of camp management, fitness, welfare, and grievances. However, POWs should continuously endure in mind that the enemy has frequently viewed POWs as treasured assets of navy information and propaganda that they are able to use to in addition their battle effort.
Accordingly, every POW ought to workout tremendous warning when completing a "seize card," when carrying out legal verbal exchange with the captor, and whilst writing letters. A POW should withstand, keep away from, or keep away from, even when physically and mentally coerced, all enemy efforts to stable statements or actions which could similarly the enemy's purpose.
What to Avoid
Examples of statements or moves POWs should resist encompass giving oral or written confessions; making propaganda recordings and broadcast appeals to different POWs to conform with unsuitable captor demands; appealing for U.S. surrender or parole; carrying out self-criticisms; and imparting oral or written statements or communications on behalf of the enemy or harmful to america, its allies, the Armed Forces, or other POWs. Captors have used POWs' answers to questions of a non-public nature, questionnaires, or non-public records to create improper statements which include those listed above.
A POW have to apprehend the enemy may use any confession or declaration as part of a fake accusation that the captive is a struggle crook instead of a POW. Moreover, certain international locations have made reservations to the Geneva Conventions (reference (g)) wherein they assert that a conflict criminal conviction has the effect of depriving the convicted character of POW reputation. These international locations may additionally assert that the POW is removed from safety below reference (g) and the right to repatriation is for that reason revoked until the individual serves a jail sentence.
If a POW finds that, below excessive coercion, he unwillingly or accidentally discloses unauthorized facts, the Service member have to try and get better and face up to with a sparkling line of intellectual defense.
POW revel in has proven that although enemy interrogation classes can be harsh and merciless, it's also viable to face up to if there's a will to face up to.
The fine manner for a POW to hold religion with america, fellow POWs, and oneself is to provide the enemy with as little data as viable.
What Military Personnel Need to Know
Specifically, Service individuals should:
- Be familiar with the numerous aspects of the interrogation procedure, its phases, the tactics, methods, and techniques of interrogation, and the interrogator's goals, strengths, and weaknesses.
- Understand that the Geneva Conventions and the CoC require a POW to reveal name, rank, service quantity, and date of start when wondered. Understand that a POW have to avoid answering similarly questions. A POW is endorsed to limit in addition disclosure with the aid of using resistance strategies together with claiming an incapacity to furnish additional records due to previous orders, negative memory, lack of information, or lack of comprehension. The POW may in no way voluntarily give the captor extra information but ought to resist doing so, even supposing it involves withstanding mental and physical duress.
- Understand that short of death; it's far not likely that a POW might also save you a professional enemy interrogator, the usage of all available psychological and physical methods of coercion, from obtaining a few degree of compliance via the POW with captor demands. However, recognize that if the interrogator takes the Service member past the point of most persistence, the POW have to get better ("get better") as fast as possible and resist every successive captor exploitation effort to the utmost. Understand that a compelled solution on one factor does now not authorize endured compliance. The POW must resist answering again at the subsequent interrogation consultation.
- Understand that the CoC authorizes a POW to talk with the captor on man or woman health or welfare matters and, when applicable, on ordinary topics of camp administration. Conversations on the ones VI. aren't considered to be giving unauthorized information.
- Understand that the POW might also grant restricted records on family status and address in completing a Geneva Conventions seize card.
- Be conscious that a POW may additionally write personal correspondence.
- Be aware that the captor shall have full get admission to to both the statistics on the seize card and the contents of private correspondence.
- Be familiar with the captor's motives for and techniques of attempting to involve POWs in each internal and external propaganda sports. Understand that a POW have to use each approach to be had to keep away from taking part in such activities and need to now not make oral or written statements disloyal to the USA or its allies, or adverse to fellow POWs.
- Be acquainted with the captor's reasons for and techniques of trying to indoctrinate POWs politically. Be acquainted with the methods of resisting such indoctrination.
- Understand that even if coerced beyond name, rank, carrier wide variety, date of start, and claims of inabilities, it's miles feasible to thwart an interrogator's efforts to gain beneficial information by the use of certain additional ruses and stratagems.
- Understand and broaden self belief within the potential to use nicely the ruses and stratagems designed to prevent a hit interrogation.
Special Provisions for Medical Personnel & Chaplains (Articles V and VI).
These Articles and its motives additionally apply to clinical employees and chaplains ("retained employees"). They are required to speak with a captor in reference to their professional responsibilities, problem to the restraints discussed in Article I, V, and VI.